Tipsy Topsy's Triumphs 'N Tears

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Journey to a Destination

Excerpt from Notes to Myself by Hugh Prather

“Today I want to do things to be doing them, not to be doing something else. I don’t want to drive to get there, make love to have climaxes, or study to “keep abreast.”

I don’t want to do things to sell myself on myself. I don’t want to do nice things for people so that I will be “nice.” I don’t want to work to make money, I want to work to work.

Today I don’t want to live for, I want to live.”

A friend told me the other day that he worked towards a goal, achieved it and even before he could enjoy it he started his pursuit for the next goal. This same story is experienced by a lot of young people today. School, college, MBA, from one job to another- the journey is endless. The key, I guess, lies in enjoying the journey and not waiting to find the happiness in the goal.

Hope all of us are able to do that!


3 Comments:

  • goal... yeah... i have my goals... but i too have been waylaid by other stuff... rather allwoed myself to be... biding my time... :)at the mo muh goal is to get fat off other people:D taking it as it comes... thats muh motto

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 04, 2004 4:42 PM  

  • Hey Topsee Turvee,
    Nice to see you blogging. A cetain someone told me you dont blog..well i suppose he is in trouble now.

    And yeah there is no road to happiness, i guess it is the road.

    By Blogger Dreamcatcher, at September 07, 2004 7:15 PM  

  • Very loaded statements by the author.Though, the first thing I was reminded was "Karmany eva dhikaarasthe" verse from our Gita.The essence, I think, is "Don't have expectations [It's difficult I know, but mebbe we can say 'dont have too many expectations']. The result is much sweeter in that case.I believe, we get hurt in relationships and friendships 'coz often we expect more than what we deserve.So, when there's no equal reciprocation, we get hurt.

    I love this post, Tipsy. Keep talking. I ll keep walking here.

    By Blogger Srini, at September 11, 2004 1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home