Tipsy Topsy's Triumphs 'N Tears

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Stage and Me -Part 1

A friend asked me if I had participated in theatre activities and this reminded me of the brushes I have had with performing on the stage. Being a victim of stage fright, these brushes have been very few.


My first distinct memory of putting up an act on the stage was in a fancy dress competition on Teacher's Day. I was about 12 years old and in the sixth standard.

The chosen attire: tribal-wear. My dress designer happened to be my sister who cut up a HUGE skirt and made the complete dress for me. Strips of the cloth were tied on my head, arms and legs. She and a close friend of hers took hold of some water colours and let their imagination lose... colouring up my face and arms and legs. Talcum powder was used to create suitable effects. My hair didn't need to be worked upon. On any given day it would have put a tribal to shame. Accessory: a multicolour feathered cleaning brush

The competition required us to put up an act too. Choreographed by my sister, I had to do the following:
Jump onto the stage from the sidewings. Look left and right with a very grim expression on my face. Jump my way to the mic, continuing this looking about routine. On reaching the mic, dance a tribal dance while saying things like hoo-la-la-hoo. On my House Captain's suggestion, I added the line "Hello teachers! How about joining me for a dance after the party?" Dance a bit more. And exit from the other side of the stage.

The performance went as planned. I was scared shit, obviously. My sister who was part of the audience didn't see my act because she was too nervous to look. (Love you sis) When I jumped onto the stage i could hear my classmates whispering my name in the silent auditorium. As I danced and said the nonsense, people laughed. When I extended my dance invitation, they laughed even more.
I shared the first prize with another person.

More experiences in the next post........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home