Tipsy Topsy's Triumphs 'N Tears

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

The Stage and Me : Part 2

I shared my experiences as a tribal woman on stage in a previous post. Incidentally, the fresher's party given by my department in my first year at college also had a tribal theme. A bit of rolling up of pants, draping of a dupatta,wearing junk jewelry, using talcum powder and tying up my ever faithful tribal hair on top of my head helped me win the best dressed fresher. They gave me the title of a Bushwoman. I am still called "Bushy" by a few people.

Another encounter with the stage that I recall is a role in a One Act Play. Independence day celebrations at school. I can think of only two reasons why I was selected to be a part of the play: I was the creature that I was (and still am) and not many had volunteered.

Since I am not a great actor, I was to play one of the tiny roles. The play was about Chandrashekhar Azad and had a court trial in it. I was the firangi judge. I was required to say approximately five lines, which included mundane things like asking him his name and his father's name, etc. I believe he gave some smartass (patriotic) replies to these innocent questions which led to my most dramatic dialogue, "What impudence! I sentence you to.." Something to the effect of him being whipped x number of times. This was followed by his getting whipped. The appropriate sound effects were provided by our enthusiastic teacher beating a cushion with a stick in the mic offstage. Azad shouted Vande Mataram while he was being whipped.

I had to speak very little but I suffer from an inability to suitably modulate my voice. A handicap that has led me to deliver my occasional speeches and prayers in morning assembly in a very unenthusiastic and monotonous tone. My mother was an ace debater and used to participate in sanskrit elocution (they actually speak in sanskrit there!!!). Dad participated in plays including one with Shakti Kapoor. I am a useless daughter. My sister says that when I speak it sounds like I am saying "Wov wov wov". In other words, I sound like I am speaking with a full mouth. The point of telling all this is that during practices the teachers had to actually teach me how to speak my simple lines ! All this affected me so much that when I took up a job and was required to record a voicemail message, I never did it. Hence, whenever someone called for me and I wasn't in office, they reached the voicemail of a certain "Yogesh Babbar" (the guy who had my extension before he left office). I recently recorded a complaint in MTNL and it played back my message. I don't sound that bad. Next time I have to, I will definitely record a voicemail message.

Getting back to the play, my costume was a very authentic one (something which was not very common in our school). A judge's wig had been rented. I had borrowed the lawyer's coat and collar from my distant cousin who is an advocate. Black trousers and a white school shirt completed the attire.

As had happened when I participated in the fancy dress competition, my entry on the stage was followed with whispering of my name amongst the audience. The play went off peacefully. Much better than the others. Specially one in which one of the freedom fighters forgot his dialogue and said "Shit" full volume in the mic. We won the first prize. Lucky, ain't I?

19 Comments:

  • Wovwovwovwov
    :p
    You sound perfectly fine, idjit!
    >:D<
    Sis

    By Blogger Ink Spill, at May 18, 2005 1:42 PM  

  • :) reminds me of one of my earliest fancy dress comps..I was Indira gandhi, saree, talcum powder in my hair for the grey look et al! :)
    and the speech..wish I had it here...jus rmbr one phrase from it..."every drop of my sweat an blood.." :)

    By Blogger shub, at May 18, 2005 2:13 PM  

  • having heard u, i think u sound perfectly fine.
    tell your sis to go to bed or puke. or whatever.

    By Blogger Chugs, at May 18, 2005 2:36 PM  

  • haha, so cute :). Should like to hear your voice then :D . Oh and shub was asking me what I was doing saying 'how you doing' to you. Dyu think she's got a problem? :D

    By Blogger Argentyne, at May 18, 2005 4:33 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Gaurav, at May 18, 2005 7:00 PM  

  • Hi...u were so right about ur bloggin frequency in the comment u left on my blog... :)
    u have a really nice blog goin on here....
    go ahead personalize ur voicemail....don't care about how u sound....
    Also blogrolled u....

    By Blogger Gaurav, at May 18, 2005 7:13 PM  

  • Inky, why didn't u tell me earlier? U idjit.

    Shub, Indira Gandhi..Kewl!Thank God I didnt haveta give a speech and only blabber nonsense as a tribal.

    Chugs, Can'y yaar. BADI BEHAN hai.

    CC, what is mobile number? karoon kya dial number? Shub is getting jealous. Ignore her sweetie.

    Gaurav,
    Thanks..will add u too.

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at May 18, 2005 7:35 PM  

  • hmmmm didnt you get to eat aamlates that night? :D

    By Blogger Domesticated Bachelor, at May 18, 2005 9:37 PM  

  • Sweet :)

    By Blogger AAA, at May 19, 2005 7:31 AM  

  • Sweetie???!
    :-O :-O :-O
    raaam raam raam raam!
    :P

    By Blogger shub, at May 19, 2005 10:45 AM  

  • hey great u added me - but under the wrong name....u added me under fundamental...

    By Blogger Gaurav, at May 19, 2005 11:29 AM  

  • hey! Zillion Zhanks for zropping by..

    as for the crazy diet/schedule .. go here.. Don't take this otherwise, this was just to enlighten you on the crazy 6 days :)

    By Blogger VM, at May 20, 2005 11:03 AM  

  • oyeee, how old r u?

    :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 21, 2005 12:27 PM  

  • hey btw, i read somewhere on ur blog that u went for river-rafting trip...did u go to rishikesh?...how was the trip...i went refting for the 1st time last week only...would love to read ur experiences abt it...pls guide me to ur post abt it

    and...do u love travelling?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 21, 2005 12:33 PM  

  • hey :) Meggie here .....ltns !

    http://meeraj.rediffblogs.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 21, 2005 2:58 PM  

  • Ahhhhhhh Nostalgia? Nice...I remember we once went for a competition in school and during one of the rounds..my partner couldn;t get the answer and i screamed F*** U in the mic...
    (no we did not win..we were disqualified) :P
    Wazzaaaaaaaaaaa...Been a while:)

    By Blogger arvindiyer, at May 21, 2005 11:40 PM  

  • Joker,

    no omlettes in a two min performance :P

    Kushee,
    thanks

    Shub, why not?!

    Gaurav, I do it every single time. error corrected.

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at May 22, 2005 7:21 PM  

  • Bhim,

    Saw the url..didn't bother to check the site ;) Soham soham :D

    Burf,
    21, y? or was this a joke I didn't get? :(
    Riverrafting rocked! didn't end up writing a post on it. can tell u about it..send over ur email id :P

    Yes i do love travelling. Wish i could do more of it!

    Arvind,
    hehe. trust u to do somethg like that. yeah it has.

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at May 22, 2005 7:31 PM  

  • :) Tipsy topsy, do you think you'll need someone to tutor you for your "I do" part as well?

    By Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee, at May 29, 2005 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home