Tipsy Topsy's Triumphs 'N Tears

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Girl Meets World

As promised in the previous post, this one is about 'what a girl who has been in a girls' school and college feels when suddenly thrown into a work environment which has specimens of the opposite sex.' What prompted me to write about this is the weekend I spent with ex-colleagues and now buddies from office.

I have had a peculiar kind of upbringing. One where I was devoid of any interaction with boys my age. Girls' school and college happens to a lot of people. In addition to these skewed institutions of society, I have no brothers or male cousins with whom I interacted on a regular basis. My friends in the neighborhood always happened to be girls. As a family, our social circle is practically non-existent. There is just one family that visits us once a month.

My first interaction was when I joined the mandatory tuition classes in tenth standard. However, there was hardly any mixing that happened and usually people hung around with others of the same sex. During classes, I found most boys to be far dumber than me and that further prevented me from trying to interact with them. (Probably just a coincidence, so don't scream guys)

Then, I got a job and stepped into the real world. The singular principle behind my approach was to not treat the guys any different from the girls. It worked and I felt absolutely no discomfort while interacting with guys.

So, why am I writing this post? It is because the environment still baffled me. It wasn't just the guys. It was the kind of talk and humor that prevailed when members of both the sex were prevalent in the same space: something I observed while hanging out with my friends, specially last weekend. Suddenly, you are not just human beings. You are a guy or a girl. Two people talking to each other must be passionately in love- irrespective of gender. So, everybody gets ragged about being homosexual. Guys proclaim to be subscribers of Glam. A guy talking to a girl must be flirting with her. Some guys think so too and hence, whenever they talk to you they must flirt (even though everybody knows that they have a girlfriend back home). Sexual connotations can be derived from absolutely anything in this world and watching movies like Kya Kool Hain Hum and reading Cosmopolitan at night doesn't help the case.

These jokes are funny but there is always just too much of this kind of humor. I do not understand why this happens. When I ask them, I am informed that this is how young people are. When I try to challenge the fact that girls from my kind of background are accused of being obsessed with guys, I am told of unspeakable things that happen in girls' colleges and that I am just an exception.

Still trying to figure out this world!

***

As some of you might have noticed, Haloscan is gone. It was deleting my earlier comments and not displaying the ones that were there in the account. Hence, I took this drastic step. Sorry for the inconvenience that Blogger comments might pose!

22 Comments:

  • :)

    By Blogger shub, at May 26, 2005 11:49 AM  

  • u, i guess, are quiet young, but dont worry u will meet quite many different people and go thru many different phases of life that will make you keep changing ur views about life, guys, girls... urself :D

    ...till then meet all the flirts you can and enjoy ;)

    btw, my yahoo messenger id is tgoel_78 :D

    take care

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 26, 2005 12:27 PM  

  • Your post kindles a totally different kind of memory ….

    Twelve years of donnish (yeah education) life and I was woefully unaware of what transpired in a non-unisex community. What distinguished boy from girl was that girls wore skirts and sported piggy tails which would often make them too easy a prey when chased by rumbustious tiddlers. Cross - chromosomal interaction in the societal life was never something in deficit, when, it hit me suddenly. Two forgetful years of my life were spent in this reformatory like atmosphere where inter sexual interaction even in its most innocent form, conversation, was considered blasphemous, a sin. Can you believe I spent two years without ever once speaking to girls in class I’d spent the last ten-twelve years of my life with at school where we developed bonds we thought would put any super-glue to shame!! And then it took me a good few years for me to acclimatize myself back to unisex interactions.
    Oops, Did I miss out on the “flirting-with-you” part this time around… :-p . May be I am just gay :D

    By Blogger Self Writeous, at May 26, 2005 12:40 PM  

  • hm. I haven't seen that much of flirting in my coll. In fact, very little. You're right about the homosexual jokes and the innuendoes though. For now, I'm enjoying it. Guess too much of anything is bad .. :) Cheer up, things will change sometime :)

    Oh!I've tagged you :)

    By Blogger Argentyne, at May 26, 2005 3:38 PM  

  • I still have to face the 'non-unisexual' world :) ... so I'd better wait and watch.

    By Blogger VM, at May 26, 2005 10:26 PM  

  • Happens, esp when there are lot of gossip mongers... Not that they are unaware that it is all platonic, but then they need it as fillers when they have nothing much to talk about when in their elite groups... More often than not, they have nothing worthwhile to talk, so they discuss the guy and girl who were talking to each other.

    People get numb over it and brush it aside over a period of time :o) There is no way we can stop this na

    By Blogger Woodooz, at May 27, 2005 12:31 AM  

  • Hey tnx for visitng my blog :D

    i tagged you too, pls pls pls acknowledge being tagged by me ahead of KK(CC). lol...its fun being kiddish, isnt it?

    :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 27, 2005 12:32 AM  

  • Relax, it gets less hysterica as you get older. This being a phase, for most people, of "look at us, we're so cool, we talk about sex". It dies down.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 27, 2005 10:19 AM  

  • Shub, :)

    Burf, I ain't quiet young, but yes I am quite young compared to you :P

    HoH, LOL. U r commenting on a woman's blog..u can't be gay! :P

    CC, the flirting i am referring to is of the most harmless kinds. college mein, I guess, the flirting is more serious.thanks for tagging me. :)

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at May 27, 2005 12:25 PM  

  • Bhim, hehe. Its not a big deal. u r probably used to this kind of humor :P

    Somu, yeah. but this is not like gossiping. it's in ur face. and more importantly, its not malicious, totally innocent.

    Kahini, I hope so!

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at May 27, 2005 12:33 PM  

  • Nice post TT. Well, even I started out by not making too many distinctions while interacting with members of either sex. And I got a very strange observation from one of my colleagues who said "Girls from a unisex college are far more open while interacting with guys". I am yet to figure out what that meant and in what context.
    And about the sexual innuendos in the talk, I did not encounter too many. I thought that was more prevalent when we were teenagers. But, I think there is one thing I happened to observe: guys think it is macho to reveal their prurient thoughts about some leggy femme fatale in the presence of women.

    By Blogger Kirthi, at May 27, 2005 1:10 PM  

  • Well... I went to DPS RKP, which is not exactly a boys only school, but IIT more than made up for that. The jokes, yeah... noticed them myself.

    And because my name is slightly weird and there has been rampant talk of homosexuality on this page, just to make sure everyone knows..i am male. Whew!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 27, 2005 2:47 PM  

  • Kirthi, I am increasingly believing that girls from co-ed institutions are more obsessed about guys than ones from unisex institutions.

    Keerthi,
    Confession: I always thought u were a girl till Aditya corrected me :D
    DPS RKP: YUK :P
    btw, how does being male exempt u from being considered homosexual? Mebbe ur controversial name suggests hidden desires :P

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at May 27, 2005 4:10 PM  

  • Firstly, I didn't understand your comment on my blog.

    Secondly, I don't understand this post and am inclined to feel that your reading of the situation is wrong in some way.

    Ah well, maybe I am just another lost soul... apart from being a tubelight...

    By Blogger Prashanth, at May 27, 2005 5:54 PM  

  • yes u r esp if we look at the matureity factor :p ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 27, 2005 7:43 PM  

  • maturity*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 27, 2005 7:46 PM  

  • hmmm now we start a national debate like the one Shubs had some time back - Male or Female...*GRIN*

    By Blogger Domesticated Bachelor, at May 28, 2005 9:31 AM  

  • which btw is why shubs hasnt commented on your blog!

    By Blogger Domesticated Bachelor, at May 28, 2005 9:31 AM  

  • @joker - who is "your" ?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 28, 2005 11:47 AM  

  • Well what are u r saying probably doesnt happen in a close friend's group. If somebody has known u for years u dont need to impress her..

    but when u meet somebody unknown and attractive i think it is but natural if u try to impress,,...

    hetrosexual orientation...

    anyways to each is own view..i agree to what kahini said..

    By Blogger anubhav, at May 28, 2005 11:55 AM  

  • A Nice Entry.

    Had the same dilemma. I wz in a Boys school n collge for 15 years of my education n then wz too embarassed 2 talk 2 ne member of da opposite sex except ofcourse my sis.


    Dnt thnk though tat I hv turned into a gay.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 18, 2005 5:32 PM  

  • see nice interesting blog -

    [url=http://trailfire.com/allegra] goodyear allegra tires [/url]

    http://trailfire.com/allegra
    [url=http://trailfire.com/allegra] allegra d [/url]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 16, 2010 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home