Tipsy Topsy's Triumphs 'N Tears

Saturday, June 11, 2005

An Hour A Day

After I quit my job, I had 24 hours a day and nothing to do in them. A blank page to be filled. One of the things that was decided by powers that be was a daily visit to the gym. The person who as a child who used to run barefoot on rooftops after kites and not feel her day to be complete until she had done her daily dose of skipping, couldn't see her child sitting in front of the computer or the television, or lying and reading books all day. Mom (why do I mention her in almost every post? I don't know. Don't you also do it sis?) decided that I accompany dad to the gym daily. It's been almost four months now and I am keeping up the routine.

The gym I visit is different from the usual idea that prevails in the minds of most people. It is not an airconditioned place with loads of mirrors and swanky equipment with young people working out in trendy gym wear. My gym is part of the physiotherapy department of a hospital. A corner of the huge hall has been segregated using curtains and that serves as the fitness centre. This makes visiting the gym a very unique experience.

Around me every alternate person is on a wheelchair. There are some patients lying on their stomachs on the stretcher. As I pass the cafeteria, there are worried relatives huddled around tables discussing, pondering over X-rays and reports. There are the men sweeping the floors all day. Dad, who has been visiting the gym for a year, always makes it a point to apologize to them if we ever happen to walk across a freshly mopped floor. They always acknowledge my dad when he passes by. In the evenings, some of the patients are out in the garden or driveway with their family members. The eyes that must have stared at the hospital ceiling all day fill themselves with the sight of the blue open sky.


The timings of the gym are such that they do not coincide with the time when most patients are present for physiotherapy. However,the past couple of times my father and I happened to visit the gym a little earlier than usual. I saw things that prompted me to write this post.

A five year old child pushing his father's wheelchair around the ward for fun while his father smiled and laughed. This is not the kind of game the father must have thought of playing with his son. Shouldn't it have been the father pushing the son's swing?

A man on the treadmill being helped by three others to take each painful step. The treadmill I so easily walk or jog on. His leg had to be lifted every single time. The pain writ large on his face.

While using the stepper, I saw another face filled with pain on the other side of the curtain. A patch on one of the eyes. A collar around the neck. The person had been strapped on a bed and the bed had been lifted to bring him to the vertical position. We looked at each other. As they lowered the bed, he cried out with pain. I could no longer look into his eyes and lowered my gaze.

I walk through this scene everyday. Unmoved and untouched. It doesn't make me fall on my knees and thank the lord for saving me from such pain. I don't do anything that could make the suffering of these people more bearable. I live in my own world.

29 Comments:

  • When my brother was hospitalised, everytime they had to give him a dose of injection, I would quietly walk out of the room. Just don't think I can bear to see someone going through such a painful experience. And you see such stuffs everyday ?

    By Blogger Woodooz, at June 11, 2005 11:20 AM  

  • If you were unmoved and untouched, you would not have posted this entry.

    Inky

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 11, 2005 11:46 AM  

  • hmmm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 11, 2005 12:11 PM  

  • An unusual place for a 'gym' to be! Nevertheless, your experience seems to have roused a lot of emotions. But try to look at it this way. The people you see there, in all that pain, apparently crying while doing there exercise - have immeasurable courage! Facing such a daunting task, I would simply crumble. These people are facing trouble, and are facing it in a positive way. You should be happy for them, and I guess you should show your faith in them.

    By Blogger VM, at June 11, 2005 1:07 PM  

  • Don't we all live in our own little worlds? Someday we might do something about all the pain and suffering and injustice in the real world... till then we must let the world deal with itself... after all, it came this far without our help...

    By Blogger Prashanth, at June 11, 2005 4:06 PM  

  • You could exist in your own world, but its important that you see the other worlds as well. The direction of rotation could be different but its important to acknowledge that another body could have its own axis about which it revolves. I like it!

    -- Akshaya

    By Blogger Braveheart, at June 11, 2005 5:04 PM  

  • tum to senti ho gayi yaar... mujhe to gym ka funda kabhi compile hi nahin hua. khoob khaao, khob piyo... baki baad main dekhenge.. lagta hai ki main jaldi hi mar jaaonga :) waise bhi, kaun kambakhat jeena chahta hai

    -- handa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 11, 2005 7:22 PM  

  • very nicely written.

    By Blogger Sagnik Nandy, at June 12, 2005 11:45 AM  

  • Well that's nicely written. All I can say is that this complexity cant be explained cuz everyone cant have everything, that's why we are always told - count your blessings always.
    Pretty brave of you although, I could hardly bear all that!

    By Blogger ss, at June 12, 2005 2:16 PM  

  • Somu, yep and yet I am unaffected. plus it's ur bro , so the attachment is more. I used to be terrified when my mom had to get some injections. The doc used to laugh at sis and me.

    Inky, not moved enough ishat i meant to convey.

    Bhim, That is pretty much all I do. but it is so passive.

    Prashanth, yeah rite :P

    Akshaya, "hmmmm"

    Handa, yeh jeena bhi koi jeena hai lallu. I think u would be better off dead.

    Sagnik, thanks

    Sonal, It's not brave. I am immune to the suffering. It's indifference.

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at June 12, 2005 7:34 PM  

  • "Unmoved and untouched"?I think not. Else we wouldn't've seen this post here.
    Hmmm...

    By Blogger shub, at June 13, 2005 10:01 AM  

  • life is like this only...pain n sufferings r all around..but we choose to remain in our world ....chasing our petty goals, gains!

    By Blogger Stone, at June 13, 2005 10:47 AM  

  • Touching post. Reminds me of the time my mother told me about an infant she'd seen who'd come to Chennai for treatment for some kind of cancer. This cute little thing, apparently had one eye bandaged... At the age he/she had to be running around and playing and all that... And learning the alphabet... Makes it hard(er) to believe that God exists.

    By Blogger Juvenile Delinquent, at June 13, 2005 12:30 PM  

  • That was touching! Not many people possess this knack of noticing the mundane things that make so much difference to someone's life! The last three 'scenes' couldn't have been narrated in any better way! Very well written!

    TT her best! :)

    By Blogger Fundoo, at June 13, 2005 5:39 PM  

  • I agree totally with your sis and Shub, you at least bothered to notice. Was talking to my sis about general social volunteering and she was like, there are many patients who have no one ot attend to them, like in the govt. hospital she goes to, there are patients lying around in the TB wards with nothing to do and hteir family is too poor to afford coming to look after the patient everyday, she was saying it would be nice if people could volunteer to entertain such people a little because many people totally lose their interest in life at such places ... too bad you aren't here or we could have managed something :)

    By Blogger Argentyne, at June 13, 2005 8:16 PM  

  • Nice post TT.
    The truth is we realize how blessed and fortunate we are and stop taking our well-being for granted, only when we come across 'lesser' beings who don't seem to have a normal life. It seems ironical and a tragedy of the human mind that we find solace about our health when we see another in pain.

    By Blogger Kirthi, at June 13, 2005 9:17 PM  

  • this post reminds me of a line from the movie motorcycle diaries which goes
    'let the world change u, and u can change the world' the first part makes lotsa sense, if only we let what we see thouch our lives.

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at June 14, 2005 6:14 AM  

  • Maybe an unpopular comment but... it's good to live in your own litte world, because that's where you get the strength and belief to do whatever it is you do.

    I have heard enough from people who work at NGOs to know that bleeding hearts are often not tough enough to deal with real life tough situations.

    You contribute to the world WHATever you do. Doing it out of guilt doesn't make it better.

    Sorry for the intense comment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 15, 2005 12:03 AM  

  • It's your way to deal. Everyone has to deal.

    By Blogger GratisGab, at June 15, 2005 3:05 AM  

  • I agree with Inky :)

    By Blogger AAA, at June 15, 2005 1:47 PM  

  • psst TT has Ashok been here ? lol

    By Blogger Vc, at June 15, 2005 2:58 PM  

  • Though you refuse to admit it, the post shows you as 'moved' and 'affected'.
    Well written.

    By Blogger anumita, at June 15, 2005 4:53 PM  

  • we all live in our own world, don't we tipsy. but i agree with inky. don't thing you're unmoved or untouched.

    By Blogger Hornswoggler, at June 16, 2005 8:49 AM  

  • Well what can you say, humans just don't give up. Well written.

    By Blogger Pictarter, at June 17, 2005 1:44 AM  

  • The human spirit is indomitable as chakshu says.

    Reminds me of the time, when back in 1990 i used to go to the station everyday with a neighbour to pick up the days paper. I used to tag along for the ride. and for a long time, you could see the Kuwait returnees and their emotions... theirs and their families... makes for a complete post here...will blog about it soon i hope.

    By Blogger Domesticated Bachelor, at June 17, 2005 9:42 AM  

  • Man I am so lucky....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 17, 2005 4:05 PM  

  • One embarrassing story from TT's chilhood here everyday till she updates.
    Starting tomorrow. Watch out.

    By Blogger Ink Spill, at June 17, 2005 6:14 PM  

  • Ouch Inky Ouch. btw, i have already put one in ur comments' box. :D

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at June 17, 2005 7:21 PM  

  • the article was really touching dude..

    By Blogger ioiio, at June 21, 2005 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home