Tipsy Topsy's Triumphs 'N Tears

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Angreji Mujic

I hardly need to emphasize how close-knit a family I belong to. This results in strange side-effects. One very prominent one happens to be my lack of interest in English music. I never needed it as a medium where teenagers usually find a vent for their emotions or peace or an identity (in saying they love what everyone else loves?!). I was never alone. I didn't have too many friends. I didn't have cable TV.

In a world governed by stereotypes, my ignorance in this sphere has often proved to be a handicap. I cannot blame other people. The extent of my ignorance can be quite appalling. For instance, till recently I thought that Pink Floyd was an individual and not a band..err..or is it vice versa? (just lost most of my blog readers. sigh)

I have made attempts at familiarizing myself with the different genres and the popular artists. I quite enjoy listening to Marc Anthony. I even bought a collection of Bryan Adams' songs. And this purchase led to a startling discovery. Rock music puts me to sleep.

Millions of people believe that the best days of their life were back in the Summer of '69 (even though they weren't born then! previous janmas?). And they jump and shout and scream the fact. However, listening to Bryan Adams singing this song and more importantly songs like Everything I do or let's make a night to remember has consistently led me to nights of blissful slumber. Nights I remember nothing about, thankfully!

Last night I couldn't sleep. Tossing and turning in my bed, I wondered at what I could possibly do which would help. I tried eating something thinking about the dinner I had eaten very little of. Logged on to the internet. But who has ever felt sleepy while surfing?! Fearing my parents catching me using the comp, I went back into bed. Listening to the radio on my walkman I hoped to hear some soothing hindi oldies. Unfortunately, all channels seemed to be catering to the truck driver listeners at that hour.

And then it happened. One channel was playing English music. The RJ , not a very professional one, was talking in a sweet calm voice. He obviously believed that nobody was listening to him. Sample this: "This song is dedicated to my fun friend who means a lot to me, with whom I have shared a lot of fun moments, who has cried on my shoulder more often than I have cried on hers, with whom I have fought a lot but who is a great friend" Well..something to this effect! And then he played a song. I have no clue who the singer was and I cannot recall the lyrics. All I know is that it had the most calming effect on me and I fell asleep soon after!!!

[Kind people have enquired about my mother's wellness and that of the gadgets in my house. The washing machine is working fine. However, the water level indicator (which tells us how much water is present in the tank on the ground floor and how much in the overhead tank) has conked off. While I was writing this post, she was shouting at the engineer on the phone asking him to send a more competent fellow. Please pray for us.]

27 Comments:

  • :)) Ahh...classic TT post! :D

    By Blogger shub, at June 29, 2005 4:11 PM  

  • Yeah, Byran Adams is pretty soporific:) But it sort of disturbs me if you think everyone listens to english music because they dont have any "vent for emotions or peace or identity". In fact, the distinction itself doesnt make too much sense, Its only a language after all...

    And...Pink Floyd is two persons actually :) http://support.uni-oldenburg.de/~floyd/english/appendix/realpf.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 29, 2005 4:47 PM  

  • No wonder you were so... hmm mmmm
    Tell me : "all channels seemed to be catering to the truck driver listeners at that hour." what type of songs are these ? oldies ?

    and for your :Please pray for us.
    Vc kneels down"Oh Lord our Father, please forgive TT, she knows not what she listens to (music)nor what she eats !!"

    By Blogger Vc, at June 29, 2005 5:56 PM  

  • Yeh angrji gaane mhare palle bhi na pade hai..TT maine thare ko bada hosiyaar samjha tha..par tu bhi mhare jaisi hie nikli???

    Mummy ka engineer ko chillana bada sahi hai...iske do fayde hai..1.Kaam fatafat ho jaega aur 2.Woh tum pe line marne ki himmat nahi karega!!!;-)

    By Blogger Mystic Bard, at June 29, 2005 6:25 PM  

  • Lovely post! Amazingly well written. Love ya tonnes!

    By Blogger Ink Spill, at June 29, 2005 7:10 PM  

  • Poor little Tipsy. She doesn't know what she's missing.

    By Blogger Prashanth, at June 29, 2005 7:40 PM  

  • No cable at home.100% desi friends.i was a total chitrahaar types guy.IIM changed all that.english music aint all utensil clanging.a decent channel V types guy now.guess wat-playin bryan adams-what would it take.

    By Blogger Abhi, at June 29, 2005 8:51 PM  

  • :) I don't think Bryan Adams' music is Rock. .. Ever heard of something called Metallica?

    By Blogger VM, at June 29, 2005 9:04 PM  

  • You like who or what you like unlike others who like what others like!
    Okay now getting down to pray...

    By Blogger anumita, at June 29, 2005 11:11 PM  

  • Ha ha ! Once I used to think Aero Smith was a Singer... And succumbing to peer pressure in college I was forced to listen to the English pops way back in the 90s. Over a period of time, guess I developed a taste of my own under no pressure and started sticking more to Tamil and Hindi.

    Nevertheless, I do listen to occasional english numbers, the remnants of my affair with Eng songs in College :o)

    By Blogger Woodooz, at June 29, 2005 11:32 PM  

  • funny we wrote similar posts on the same day
    http://fd97103.blogspot.com/2005/06/one.html
    just that over time I became a big fan of a lot of english artists :) and you may not believe it but I have helped a couple of friends ramp up on the english music :D so give a shot to 'moon and back' :)

    By Blogger Amitesh Khandelwal, at June 30, 2005 11:17 AM  

  • i always knew it....*GRIN*

    By Blogger Domesticated Bachelor, at June 30, 2005 12:05 PM  

  • ROFL... this was hilarious! :D Wonder how you manage to generate pun out of such simplistic things! Superrrrrrrr... mazaa aa gaya padh kar. :))) Vaise Angrjji gaane nahin aata phir bhi itne saare singers/music troups ke naam pata hain! :-? Koi na... thoda time lafangon ki company me bitaao and you too will soon start listening to angrjji pop, saying 'mannnn' twice in a sentence, talking 'yeah' in place of 'yes' and sporting pierced nose (remember sania mirza?) very soon. :D

    Hilarious post... :) Very well written.

    By Blogger Fundoo, at June 30, 2005 12:34 PM  

  • u said u like english songs or that u dint like them???? :-/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 30, 2005 1:52 PM  

  • hmmmm another interesting post....led me into thinking abt a time wen i had switched on rock music at a high volume in my hostel room and went off to sleep to find quite a lot of junta bangin my door.....

    Ok i am a rock music fan -i shud not have admitted to dat...but it happens

    I have even slept while surfing...

    I have even slept just after having coffee :D

    can anyone beat these...

    yaar one shud during the very first call to these servicing co. tell dem....send an expert...else they will waste time in 3 to 4 visits.....

    By Blogger Gaurav, at June 30, 2005 5:47 PM  

  • Shub,
    I take that as a compliment :)

    Keerthi, yep, he is! I won't say that is the only reason why people listen to it, but a lot of people are initiated into it due to the reasons i mentioned. as for language, indian lyrics and poetry seem to touch a chord much deeper than english music.

    as for Pink floyd...so the name of the group of four people comes from these two individuals...interesting.

    VC, anu malik music and thanks for the prayers. these will surely help the gadgets at home work better!

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at June 30, 2005 6:05 PM  

  • ST, abey tu bhi! kaam fatafat hota o kya baat thi!

    Inkspill, can't believe my eyes/ ears. thanks a tonne for ur appreciation. love u too.

    Prashanth, fantasy books? :P

    Abhinav, congrats. u r my "idle" from now on! :P

    Bhim, yes. but haven't heard their music , i think. and my ears seem to be thanking me for it.

    Anumita, :)

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at June 30, 2005 6:50 PM  

  • Somu, then what is Aero Smith? :P (umm..band hai na?)

    Pradyot, glad u visited. 100% honest stuff guarenteed here :)

    Khandu, coincidence! i will catch up with it when i feel the need. read the post. will try catch up with the song...even though the lyrics sound weird! "be my baby..."?!

    Joker, i have always admitted it . :)

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at June 30, 2005 6:57 PM  

  • Fundoo, thanks for the compliments. you are always too generous with ur praise! btw, the pierced nose...hmmm

    Burf, don't.

    Gaurav, what else to expect of mister highwaystar!

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at June 30, 2005 7:00 PM  

  • i am so happy...someone shares my views about angrezi music..

    By Blogger divya, at July 01, 2005 7:46 AM  

  • We are identical in that aspect. I have no clue what's going on in the English music world. I used to listen to English music while I was at school, but that's all. And that was five years ago! For five years I haven't followed English music.

    But Hindi.. well, that's a totally different story. I'm up to date on Hindi music and movies :D Lol. I prefer them to English ones.

    By Blogger AAA, at July 01, 2005 9:33 AM  

  • TT, yaar please don't be so harsh on english music. since you haven't heard it a lot guess you think they lack in poetry. As a language I think english and urdu are much more effective and expressive than hindustani. (why do I love to get into arguments I don't know)

    By Blogger Amitesh Khandelwal, at July 01, 2005 12:19 PM  

  • Nice post. and very honest. But as lot of people being initiated into rock as a means to assert/vent their emotions or identity..i don't think that holds true anymore.

    By Blogger Hornswoggler, at July 01, 2005 12:28 PM  

  • For heaven's sake, can anyone tell me the differance between

    "destiny's child"
    "atomic Kitten"
    "all saints"
    ?
    B-(

    By Blogger Stone, at July 01, 2005 2:29 PM  

  • ur the first person i think who says rock puts u to sleep, rockmusic keeps me awake, bryan adams isnt rock, i mean the metalica and GNR music, that was a long time ago,
    now i mostly listen to tamil film music, Ar rehman and illayaraja, all the influence of set top box, being depived of channel v, mtv and stuff i watch tamil channels which play only tamil music

    By Blogger ada-paavi!!!!, at July 02, 2005 7:27 AM  

  • Divya, Avik: :)

    Khushee, I enjoy english movies more than hindi ones specially the animated ones. :D

    Khandu, I do read a lot of english books so I have nothing against the language or its ability to express! however, the hindi-urdu mix that is dished out in bollywood seems to catch my fancy more than the english music. i guess it is a matter of personal choice! And nothing to argue about :)

    Rash, a lot of people have confessed about this in the comments section. May be the trend is on the decline. Am sure u r more in tune with the times! :) and thanks for the appreciation. reading ur blog was the reason it took me sooo long to start blogging!

    Stone, why are u even bothering?!

    Srivatsan, i thought the audio cassette classified it as rock. of course, it isn't the head banging kinds! And Set-top box doesnt seem to be much of a success with u!

    By Blogger Tipsy Topsy, at July 02, 2005 4:06 PM  

  • Ooh now I understand the full import of u wanting to kill SP!
    I love Bryan Adams, but I am not going to try to refute ur statement abt his songs. To each her/his own.
    But yeah u r right to some extent, when u say that some people listen to "angrezi gaane" just because it is gives them some "social standing".

    By Blogger Kirthi, at July 02, 2005 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home